Choosing your wedding music is a great way to personalize your wedding and really make it your own. It’s a chance to create the atmosphere you desire.
Choosing wedding music:
- Ask friends and family for referrals, especially ones that are newly married. This could save you some legwork and money!
- Attend bridal shows and events to shop for entertainers, get price lists and samples of their music.
Ceremony Music Tips:
- Ask if your ceremony site has pianists, singers or other performers available who’ll perform for free or a small fee.
- Back to school; Your alma mater, or any local college, or high school may allow students to sing or play at wedding ceremonies.
- Go to church; Check with your church for soloists or musicians.
- Ask a talented friend or family member to sing or play at your ceremony. They will likely feel honored by the request.
- Check with your local symphony orchestra to inquire about hiring string quartets, harp soloists, jazz trio’s and more..
- Make your own: DIY your playlist, you’ll need an iPod/MP3-player and/or laptop. And don’t forget a good speaker. Ask a friend to be in charge of playing the tunes.
Reception Music Tips:
- Of course wedding songs you pick for your first dance at the reception should be very personal. For instance you could pick a song you both heard on your first date, your prom or some other special time.
- Each of you could pick your favorite love song, one that really says it all and have two “first dances”. Don’t reveal it until you are actually going to dance.
- Combine your ceremony music person with your reception entertainment…you may get a discount.
- Deciding whether to choose a band or DJ? The DJ will most likely be the biggest money saving idea. Make sure you find one that can work the mood of the crowd. Go see them perform, ask for a video or playlist beforehand. Get in writing what you want and don’t want!
- If your musicians/band are charging for time. Start the music a little later than dinner and set a definite end time. Tip: Make sure the band that you pick knows the songs that you want, and if they are not willing to play them..move on to someone else. Get everything in writing!
- If you are having an outdoor wedding, be sure that a good sound system is included in your entertainer’s package. Ask if they can play without power, if it won’t be available. No music is worth it if you can’t hear it!
- Remember that it’s your wedding and your wedding music. Choose what you love and have fun with it!
Top 20 Requested Wedding Reception Songs:
20. Hall & Oates, “You Make My Dreams”
19. The Black Eyed Peas, “I Gotta Feeling”
18. The Jackson 5, “I Want You Back”
17. The Notorious B.I.G., “Hypnotize”
16. Ed Sheeran, “Thinking Out Loud”
15. Pharrell Williams, “Happy”
14. DNCE, “Cake by the Ocean”
13. V.I.C., “Wobble”
12. OutKast, “Hey Ya!”
11. Cupid, “Cupid Shuffle”
10. The Isley Brothers, “Shout – Part 1”
9. Michael Jackson, “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough”
8. Journey, “Don’t Stop Believin'”
7. Usher feat. Lil Jon & Ludacris, “Yeah”
6. Earth, Wind & Fire, “September”
5. Whitney Houston, “I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)”
4. Justin Timberlake, “Can’t Stop the Feeling!”
3. Walk the Moon, “Shut Up and Dance”
2. Taylor Swift, “Shake It Off”
1. Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars, “Uptown Funk!”